Sunday, August 21, 2005

Goat Roping a Bust

We have been studying ancient civilization for history. It has been fun learning about the Sumerians, Mesopotamians, and now Egyptians. One of the fun things about this curriculum is they encourage a lot of hands on activities to go along with the history and sciences. We have been making clay rope pots, mini obelisks, and marbles.

On my travels looking for a hard backed King James Bible, I drove by a tiny sign indicating that down the lane was a goat dairy and ranch. Being the good teacher, I thought ‘Perfect, those ancient people had to deal with goats everyday. Maybe we can get a tour and help out.”

I planned to take the kids that Friday, (we checked Sami out from school to go with us). I pretty much kept our field trip a secret but I was planning and scheming all night long. I was trying to remember all the things to take with us. (camera, wet ones, lets see - what else?) I am a dyed in the wool desert, city girl from Henderson Nevada yet, here I am about to do something very country, you know, - Utah like. I was so excited that I couldn’t sleep.

When Friday came, we picked up Sami from school, and were off to the little dirt lane off Redwood road. We turned up the lane and drove to a corner street post sign that said, “Drake Family Goat Dairy and Farm.” We were at the right place. Just across the lane was another little graveled parking patch. There was a fenced pen area beside a small shack. The kids began yipping about the 7 goats, and 3 baby ones to boot.



We parked and got out. I looked around the area looking for someone to talk to. After about 5 minutes I decided to walk further down the lane to see if someone was among the other building in the back area. Sure enough I saw a small shadow of a man go around the opposite side of a large garage like building.

That wasn’t very friendly. I didn’t think he saw me so I softly walked over to this side of the building. I spotted him with two cell phones up to his face. He was busily talking while he fiddled with an air conditioner condenser like contraption. After a minute or two he got up, still talking and walked right past me. He didn’t even look at me. Man alive, am I invisible? That was creepy.

About this time another lady came up the lane and asked if there was anyone around. I told her of my close encounter with the busy man. She thought for a minute and started walking over to the door of the building, (which was propped open). She hesitated for a minute I guess trying to decide what to do. Seeing my opportunity to save the day, I said to her, as I wave her onward with me, “let’s go see”. She followed behind me and we walked right in.

I shouted, “Hello, Hello?” There was a small old man walking among some steel tubs. We ask him if we could get some help. He tells us in a thick Hispanic accent that the young man can. At this time the young man enters and is quickly doing other things. He is called over and learns of this other woman’s problem. He rushes off to get the key to the little self serve store hut. It was about the size of a little utility shed. I guess you can drive up, gather your dairy products, put your payment in a slotted steel box and drive away. That really is self serve. I’m just glad we don’t have to milk the silly creatures. I am not that farm integrated yet.

I decided a while back that I was not going to bother these two with a request for a tour. The kids meanwhile were busy feeding the baby goats anything that wasn’t moving. Weeds, straw, sticks, but what they found tasty was Punky’s denimed pant leg. He thought their little nibbles were funny until one bit down real hard and wouldn’t let go. He had visions of little Jurassic Park creatures snacking on HIM. I didn’t hear of this until we were on our way home. I wonder what his dreams were that night. Ha ha

Mama’s good intentions went bust on this excursion but that’s ok. I didn’t want to be touching of any part of a goat, thank you very much. Too much country is not good.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger cmhl said...

I like goats too, I am all for goats in theory-- but not necessarily close up. hahah! great picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home